Return to Civil Services

Concealed Handgun License


If you wish to apply for a new Concealed Handgun License, renew your current one, change your name, change your address, or transfer your CHL from a different county, go to this website:

Concealed Handgun Licenses (CHL) are available from the Sheriff and are effective for four years.

To see the requirements for obtaining a CHL and determine if you qualify please read the Concealed Handgun ORS

To apply for a New CHL, you will need the following documents:

  • Birth certificate or a valid Passport
  • Driver’s license and one additional form of ID
  • Proof of naturalization (if you are not a natural-born US citizen)
  • Your Concealed Handgun training course certificate*

Once you have completed the application, uploaded all required documents and paid your fees you will be able to schedule an appointment time to be fingerprinted and have your photo taken. State law requires that applicants be 21 years of age, U.S. citizens, and residents of Union County. Further, you cannot be a convicted felon, have no misdemeanors in the past four years, and not be a respondent in a restraining or stalking order.

* Oregon law requires that you be able to demonstrate competency with a handgun by completing a handgun safety course either in person or on-line. The course must be an NRA certified training course or other accredited handgun safety course. The Sheriff’s Office sponsors a class from time to time, and the office maintains a list of prospective students. To see a list of qualified instructors in our area follow this link:
Concealed Handgun Instructors.

Although state law allows for up to 45 days to complete the permit process, we try to clear permit applications in a few weeks.

Out of State Concealed Handgun Licenses

We get many inquiries from people from outside the state about obtaining an Oregon Concealed Handgun License.

Oregon law does allow us to issue a permit to residents of contiguous states. It states;” The Sheriff may waive the residency requirement in subsection (1)(c) of this section for a resident of a contiguous state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need”. This means you must own a business or own property in Union County to be issued a permit and be able to provide proof.

If you currently have an Oregon permit and wish to renew you must also meet the same criteria or we will not be able to renew your permit.

If you meet the requirements above, fill out the form at this link:

You MUST fill out the form prior to applying for a CHL. If you do not, then your application will be denied.

Once you have been approved, go to the Permitium website and fill out the application.


It’s important to renew your expiring concealed weapon permit within 45 days of expiration. Renewals are $75 (plus fees), and are good for four years.

Please follow this link to the Permitium website,  and follow the application process for a Renewal CHL.

You will need to upload your current CHL and your driver’s license

We will send you a letter shortly before your permit expiration to allow plenty of time for renewal.

Please call (541) 963-1017 extension 382 or email if you have any questions about the application process.