Return to Civil Services

Concealed Handgun License

Concealed Handgun Licenses (CHL) are available from the Sheriff and are effective for four years.

To see the requirements for obtaining a CHL and determine if you qualify please read the Concealed Handgun ORS

CHL’s are done by appointment ONLY during the following hours:

Monday and Friday from 8:30-11:45 and 1:15-4:30

Tuesday afternoons from 1:15-4:30

Wednesday mornings from 8:30-11:45

Please call (541) 963-1017 extension 382 to make an appointment or email

To apply, fill out the application ,this form is a fill-able form but you will still need to print if off and bring it to our office to complete the application process. You will also need to bring with you your driver’s license (as proof of residency in Union County), and either your birth certificate, passport or proof of naturalization (if you are not a natural born US citizen). This form will help us perform the required background checks. At the time you apply we will also fingerprint you and take the photo for your permit. State law requires that applicants be 21 years of age, U.S. citizens, and residents of Union County. Further, you cannot be a convicted felon, have no misdemeanors in the past four years, and not be a respondent in a restraining or stalking order. The fees due at that time are:

*$115 to the Union County Sheriff

    • (This covers the costs of your background investigation, processing the application and processing the fingerprints required by state law)

At the time of application you must be able to demonstrate competency by any of the several methods provided by law. Generally this is completion of any NRA firearms safety or training course or other accredited handgun safety course. The Sheriff’s Office sponsors a class from time to time, and the office maintains a list of prospective students. To see a list of qualified instructors in our area follow this link Concealed Handgun Class Instructors.

Although state law allows for up to 45 days to complete the permit process, we try to clear permit applications in a few weeks. You will receive your new permit in the mail.


Out of State Concealed Handgun Licenses

We get many inquiries from people from outside the state about obtaining an Oregon Concealed Handgun License.

Oregon law does allow us to issue a permit to residents of contiguous states. It states;” The Sheriff may waive the residency requirement in subsection (1)(c) of this section for a resident of a contiguous state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need”. This means you must own a business or own property in Union County to be issued a permit and be able to provide proof.

If you currently have an Oregon permit and wish to renew you must also meet the same criteria or we will not be able to renew your permit.

If you meet those criteria and all other requirements of Oregon Concealed Handgun law you may e-mail Sheriff Bowen at and request that he allow you to apply for an Oregon Concealed Handgun license through our county. Once you have his permission, you may call to make an appointment. Print off the e-mail and bring it to the Sheriff’s Office, along with your proof that you’ve had a handgun safety course and two pieces of ID, one of which must be a picture ID, preferably a driver’s license. The other must be either a passport, your birth certificate or naturalization papers (if you are not a natural born US citizen) You can also follow this link to our CHL application and fill it out prior to coming to our office. We take CHL applications by appointment Monday-Friday between the hours of 8-4:30. We are closed for lunch from 11-noon. We are also closed on weekends and holidays.



It’s important to renew your expiring concealed weapon permit within 45 days of expiration. Renewals are $75, and are good for four years. Please follow this link to the CHL Renewal Application.

We will send you a postcard shortly before your permit expiration to allow plenty of time for renewal.


Your should notify us promptly of a change of address for your concealed weapon permit. The cost for this change of address is $15 if you are changing your address in Union County. If you move to Union County from another county you must be fingerprinted and the fee is $30; $15 for the address change and $15 to process the fingerprints. Please follow this link to the CHL Change of Address application.