Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and their answers can be found here.  Let us know if you have suggestions for other FAQs.

Q. How can I identify suspicious drug activity?

A. The Union County Drug Task Force acts upon anonymous tips and encourages citizens to provide information related to narcotics activity. Heavy activity (short in and out traffic) at residences can indicate drug transactions/dealings and should be reported to the Drug Task Force as soon as possible. These people will often appear and act nervous as they approach and conduct the drug transaction. Typically the transaction will not take place within neighbors’ eyesight, but at times drug dealers become brave and will conduct transactions in the open. These open, hand to hand transactions, are likewise valuable for the Drug Task Force to know from an investigation standpoint and can be the final link that finishes a case. The information can be held confidential so as to not jeopardize anyone’s safety. The Drug Task Force encourages and appreciates any and all narcotics tips and information.

Q. My vehicle has been impounded. How do I get it back?

A. If your vehicle is impounded you must come to the Sheriff’s Office main office at 1109 K Ave. in La Grande to get it out. You will need to bring with you the following items: proof of ownership (title, registration or bill of sale), proof of current insurance, $50 cash and a licensed driver (if you are not licensed or you are suspended). If you are not the registered owner of the vehicle that person needs to come with you or, if they are unable to come with you, they can fax a notarized statement to the Sheriff’s Office authorizing us to release the vehicle to another person. Our fax number is (541) 963-1023. Once we have released the vehicle to you, you can go to the impound yard of the tow company and get it your vehicle. The tow company will probably require you to pay fees for towing and storage prior to releasing the vehicle.

Q.  A deputy gave me a traffic citation. Where do I pay it or where do I go to court?

A. Union County Justice Court is located in Island City City Hall, 10605 Island Avenue. The phone number is (541) 962-2997. Your citation should have the court date for you to appear and the fine amount.

Q.  How do I get a copy of a police report?

A.  You can call the Sheriff’s Office at (541) 963-1017 during regular business hours Monday-Friday, 8-5 or you can fill out a Public Records Request. There is a fee associated with getting a report and it will vary depending on the amount of information you are requesting. We will make sure you are aware of what the fees are. If you are requesting a lot of information we may require pre-payment of the fees.  If a case is still ongoing we will refer you to the Union County District Attorney’s Office as we cannot release reports on active investigations.

Q. How should I report a crime?

A. If a crime is in progress, such as a burglar or prowler in or around your home or car prowler in your car, call 911. If it is a “cold” crime (it has already happened), such as you go out to go to work and discover someone broke into your car overnight, call the business line 541-963-1017. That line is answered 24 hours a day 7 days a week and someone will be able to help you. Please remember that 911 is for real emergencies only and that misuse of the 911 system is a crime.

Q. How can I participate in the Ride-Along Program?

A. If you are interested in learning more about how the Sheriff’s Office operates, arrange for a ride-along with one of the deputies by filling out and returning a Ride Along Form to the Sheriff’s Office.   If you are under 18 years of age you must have a parent or guardian sign the Ride Along form before a ride along will be scheduled.

Q. Can I take a tour of the jail?

A. You may contact the Union County Sheriff’s Office to arrange a tour of the jail. Lieutenant Nick Huelter and Sergeant Caleb Keller are responsible for overseeing jail operations. It has been said many times that the honest citizens never get to see the inside of the jail.

Ordained clergy, state certified teachers or persons who wish to volunteer to conduct church services, provide educational programs or other counseling services for inmates in the jail may do so provided they pass a criminal background check and meet jail policy requirements.

Upon successful completion of the background check individuals will be provided with an orientation package and be allowed to schedule a time for their service or program. Just follow this link to the Church Volunteer Clearance Application, fill it out and either mail it to the Sheriff’s Office or drop if off at our office.

Q. How do I contact or visit jail inmates?

A. For inmates with visitation rights see the Jail Visitation FAQ

Q. How do I apply for employment with the Sheriff’s Office?

A. Download, print out, complete and return this Adobe PDF document Sheriff Office Employment Application