The Sheriff’s Office will post all job openings on this site and also with Worksource Oregon. We will take applications at all times and keep them on file for one year or until the position you are interested in comes open.
The Union County Sheriff’s Office is hiring an entry level Corrections Deputy. This is a full time certified position assigned to work as a Deputy in the Union County Jail located in La Grande, Oregon.
Applications will be accepted until Monday October 17th, 2022.
Testing for this position will consist of the POST Exam, ORPAT, and Oral Board interviews.
Testing will occur on Friday October 21st, 2022.
Pay: $20.71 to 26.43 hourly DOE. $3590.00 to 4582.00 monthly DOE.
6% added to base salary for possession of a Bachelor’s Degree.
4% added to base salary for possession of an Associate’s Degree.
5% added to base salary for possession of a DPSST Intermediate Certificate.
8% added to base salary for possession of a DPSST Advanced Certificate.
Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Retirement
Annual Vacation/Leave Options:
Comp Hours: 111 Hours
Holiday Leave: 80 Hours
Vacation Hours: 96 Hours
Sick Leave: 96 Hours
- The Sheriff’s Office Requires the Following Minimum Qualifications:
- Must be 21 years of age by the time of certification
- Must be a United States citizen or be one within eighteen (18) months of hire.
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED certificate of high school equivalency.
- Must have an acceptable driving record and the ability to obtain a valid driver’s license.
- Must successfully pass an extensive background investigation.
- Must pass an extensive post-offer, pre-employment physical assessment and psychological evaluation. Accommodation requests will be reviewed on an individual basis in compliance with State and Federal legislation.
- Must successfully pass a post offer, pre-employment drug test.
- Must be willing to be fingerprinted and have fingerprints filed with the State.
- Must be able to be certified by the Department of Public Safety Standards and Training.
- Must meet the Minimum Standards for Employment as a Law Enforcement Officer as provided for in Oregon Administrative Rules (OARs) 259-008-0010.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Preference may be given to applicants with public safety experience/training.
Only those persons who will be able to successfully pass an intensive background investigation need apply.
Applicants must successfully complete the Oregon Physical Abilities Test (ORPAT). In order to prepare for the Oregon Physical Abilities Test it is recommended that applicants visit the following website and download the video at the link posted below: https://www.oregon.gov/dpsst/CJ/Pages/ORPAT.aspx
How to apply?
Download and submit an application from our website under the employment tab or stop by the office and pick one up.
Reserve Corrections Deputy
Part time, on call position. Hours will vary. Pay is $18/hour
Hours and shifts will vary. Position works with full time certified corrections deputies, filling in when other full time deputies take time off.
No experience required. Training will be provided
For more information on any of our positions or to get a copy of the job description contact the Sheriff’s Office at (541) 963-1017 or by email at sheriff @union-county.org
To qualify for positions with the Sheriff’s Office you must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be a US citizen (certified patrol and corrections positions only)
- Have a valid driver’s license
- *Pass a written test
- *Pass a physical agility test
- Pass an oral interview
- Pass a Sheriff/Lie interview
- Pass a complete background check
- *Pass a medical exam
- Pass a Drug screening
*These steps do not apply to administrative positions.